International PhD Academy
September 20-24, 2021
Call for applications: December 5, 2020 – May 15, 2021 via the VIU website
The academic community is becoming more and more competitive and besides the content specific to each discipline, there are some common general procedures. How should a research project be presented? What happens when a paper is submitted to a journal? The aim of this PhD Academy is to familiarize young researchers with practice in research activities, as well as to introduce them to their peers from other disciplines and to the challenges of the world outside academia.
The PhD Academy will be highly interactive: participants will carry out several practical exercises.
This PhD Academy will be led by:
- National Research Council of Italy (CNR)
- KU Leuven, Belgium
- University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Daniele Archibugi, National Research Council of Italy, IRPPS
John W.M. Creemers, KU Leuven
Gregor Dugar, University of Ljubljana
- What are the social challenges that researchers need to address?
- Choosing your mentors
- What is your epistemic community?
- How to publish your research
- How to present a research project
- Applying for a job: your CV and reference letters
- Applying for funding: the case of European Commission grants
- How to communicate your research to mass-media and public opinion
- Science, politics, and society
- Assess your motivation to be a researcher
- Assess your mentors
- Map your epistemic community
- Strengths and weaknesses of your CV
- Write the most important reference letter: yours!
- Writing a book proposal
- The Bermuda Triangle: authors, editors, and referees
- Present the PhD topic in 180 seconds
- Write a press release about your research
- A 120 second TV interview
Who can apply?
This PhD Academy will be of interest to PhD students, Post-docs, and young researchers from all disciplinary backgrounds. This will also allow cross-fertilization among the participants.
The PhD Academy is primarily for candidates from VIU's member institutions, although applications from excellent external candidates will be considered and evaluated.
External candidates admitted to the PhD Academy will pay fees (further information available in the Brochure). VIU Alumni are eligible for a reduced fee.
Students from the VIU member institutions will pay no participation fees. Grant support is also available to support, partially or fully, the costs of international travel; accommodation on campus, in shared rooms, will be offered.
Applicants must submit the (1) application form, (2) a letter of motivation – which should include a short bio and a brief description of the candidate’s research project, (3) a curriculum vitae, and (4) a photo.
For further information please download the Brochure and the Program (available soon) or write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
As the COVID-19 pandemic is ongoing, VIU will continue to monitor the situation, and in the event that it is not possible to confirm the program on the VIU campus as scheduled, other practicable solutions will be evaluated. Applicants and confirmed participants will be informed of any changes.