September 11-15, 2023
Call for applications: December 1, 2022 – May 15, 2023 via the VIU website
Doing a PhD prepares you for a career in frontier research and education or for high-level roles in professional sectors where deep rigorous analysis is required. Besides the content specific to each discipline, there are some general procedures that are common and based on learning by doing and personal interactions. The aim of this PhD Academy is to familiarize young researchers to practice in research activities and to introduce them to their peers from other sciences and the challenges of the world outside academia. The PhD Academy will be highly interactive with several practical exercises.
This PhD Academy will be led by:
- National Research Council of Italy (CNR)
- KU Leuven, Belgium
- University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Daniele Archibugi, Italian National Research Council, Italy (Scientific Coordinator)
John W.M. Creemers, KU Leuven (Scientific Coordinator)
Gregor Dugar, University of Ljubljana (Scientific Coordinator)
Andrea Filippetti, Italian National Research Council
Giulia Andrighetto, Italian National Research Council
Bregt Van Hoeyveld, KU Leuven
Joeri Wielandts, KU Leuven
Alessandra Fornetti, VIU TEN Program on Sustainability
Ilda Mannino, VIU TEN Program on Sustainability
- What are the social challenges that researchers need to address?
- Choosing your mentors
- What is your professional community?
- How to publish your research
- How to present a research project
- Applying for academic and non-academic jobs
- Applying for funding: grants and scholarships
- How to communicate your research to mass-media and public opinion
- How to cope with stress and build resilience in academia
- Assess your motivation to be a researcher
- Assess your mentors
- Map your professional community
- Strengths and weaknesses of your CV
- Write the most important reference letter: yours!
- Writing a book proposal
- To survive in the Triangle: authors, editors and referees
- Set up a robust scientific paper
- Write a press release about your research
- A 120 second TV interview
- Job Interview exercise/simulation
Who can apply?
This international PhD Academy is offered to PhD students, Post-docs, and junior researchers across all disciplines. Specifically, the class will try to combine students in social sciences, humanities and hard sciences. Open to candidates from all the VIU Member Institutions; applications from excellent candidates from non-member institutions will be also considered and evaluated.
Fees & Grant Support
Students from the VIU member institutions will pay no participation fees. Grant support is also available to support, partially or fully, the costs of international travel; accommodation on campus, in shared rooms, will be offered.
External candidates admitted to the PhD Academy will pay fees (further information available in the brochure). VIU Alumni are eligible for a reduced fee.
Applicants must submit the (1) application form, (2) a letter of motivation – which should include a short bio and a brief description of the candidate’s research project, (3) a curriculum vitae, and (4) a photo.
For further information please download the brochure and the program or write to: email@example.com