Students who will attend a semester of VIU Globalization Program can apply for support in finding an accommodation through VIU channels.
All options are in shared rooms (divided by gender), trying to mix nationalities and universities of origin.
There are two accommodation options:
- Dorms on San Servolo island campus
- A place in apartments in Venice city
Students from the following universities are eligible for accommodation:
• Boston College
• Duke University
• University of Ljubljana
• Tel Aviv University
• Tsinghua University
• Waseda University
• European University at St. Petersburg
• Université de Lausanne
• Université de Bordeaux
• Università degli Studi di Roma “Tor Vergata”
• Korea University
• KU Leuven
• Università Ca' Foscari Venezia*
• Università Iuav di Venezia*
• Università di Padova*
* if there is a surplus of places available, they will be offered to exchange students of Università Ca' Foscari Venezia, Università Iuav di Venezia and Università di Padova.
VIU housing services (on San Servolo campus or in an apartment) are reserved for students who are taking at least 3 courses at VIU. Students must maintain this status throughout the semester i.e. students availing of VIU housing services must take and complete at least 3 courses.
September 8 (check in) – December 22, 2019 (check out)
February 16 (check in) – May 31, 2020 (check out)
June 5, 2019 (Fall 2019 semester)
November 30, 2019 (Spring 2020 semester)
Within 7 days after receiving the confirmation and payment instructions
1. Applications open twice a year, together with the semester pre-registration opening . Students can register through an online form on the VIU website.
2. Students who have been accepted will receive a binding agreement to sign, as well as instructions for payment. Each place is considered confirmed only after receipt of payment.
3. VIU will take care of the booking in residential halls on campus, as well as the apartments and will arrange for the lease contracts, which will be in the students’ names.
4. Before arriving in Venice, students will receive details about the accommodation location, contacts of flatmates and landlord/rental agent to directly arrange the check in.
Option 1: accommodation ON CAMPUS, San Servolo island
20 places in 3-bed and 4-bed rooms in the residential halls on the island of San Servolo, managed by a services company called San Servolo Servizi Metropolitani.
1,305 Euros, to be paid in full to confirm the reservation, non-refundable.
N.B. Payment for students from Boston College (refer to: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Duke University (refer to: email@example.com) is made directly by their universities: students have to confirm their choice to their university’s International Office and must sign an Accommodation agreement with the services company.
A deposit (200 Euro, cash only) will be required before entering the room, refunded on departure unless there has been any damage to the room.
• Rooms are regularly cleaned
• Linen, towels and blankets are provided; linen and towels are changed once a week
• There are coin-operated laundry facilities (washing and drying). Each load costs 3 Euros
• No outside guests are allowed in the residential halls
• No pets are allowed in the residential halls
• Cooking is strictly prohibited in the bedrooms of the residential halls
• Smoking is strictly prohibited in the residential halls
• Noise levels should be kept to a minimum, especially after 10 pm
• No kitchen facilities available in dorms: a cafeteria and canteen service are available on campus
• Reception is open from 8.30 am to 8 pm. Contact them for any problem in your room (light bulbs, heating, A.C., …)
• A night porter is on duty from 8 pm to 8.30 am.
Option 2: accommodation IN APARTMENTS in Venice
VIU coordinates the rental by students of several apartments in different areas of Venice city center through real estate agencies. Places are limited and allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
The apartments are usually for 4-6 students, in twin bedrooms. Male and female students will live together in the apartments, although shared rooms will be divided by gender. All students will share bathrooms, kitchens and common areas. Nationalities will be mixed as much as possible, depending on the number of students from each member university.
There is no guarantee to be assigned a place in apartment. If not assigned a place in an apartment, students will be offered a place on campus.
1,625 Euro, to be paid in full to confirm the reservation, non-refundable.
Including agency commission and VAT, contract registration, Internet. Utilities are not included.
A few places (1-3) may be in single rooms. Places in single rooms (if available) are assigned by lottery among the students who have expressed their interest. The cost for single room accommodation is 1,850 Euros.
N.B. Payment for students from Duke University (refer to: firstname.lastname@example.org) is made directly by their university: students have to confirm their choice to their university’s International Office and to sign an “Accommodation agreement”.
A deposit equivalent to one month rent will be required at check in and will be refunded on departure, unless there has been any damage to the apartment.
• Utilities are not included and are at student’s expense, usually paid at check-out
• Cleaning service is not included and it is the students’ responsibility to keep the apartment in the best conditions; the final cleaning charge is compulsory
• Apartments are supplied with a fully equipped kitchen
• A washing machine is usually available in every apartment, except if differently specified
• Linen, towels and blankets are usually provided, except if differently specified
• No pets are allowed in the apartments
• Smoking is strictly prohibited in the apartments, including your own room
• Noise levels should be kept to a minimum, especially after 10 pm out of respect for your neighbors.
Any special requests regarding accommodation must be communicated in advance to VIU by writing to email@example.com.
We will do our best to meet your needs.