If you are new to Venice International University…
VIU is a consortium of 20 universities from around the world with a common campus on an island in Venice, Italy.
Today's globalized world needs flexible minds, able to move across disciplines, capable of tackling challenges with innovative humanistic approaches while recognizing the importance of environmental and economic sustainability and natural and cultural heritage and understanding, while communicating and working with people from other cultures.
VIU programs bring together talented, motivated students from the member universities in a truly multicultural, international, and interdisciplinary environment. Students enjoy a powerful learning experience in which they develop their capacity for critical thinking, working across disciplines, creatively embracing new ideas.
The VIU Global Virtual Exchange is an innovative and enriching initiative.
In September 2020, we launched the first edition of Virtual Exchange for students of the Globalization Program: its success has led us to extend this opportunity to all students of our member universities.
The first edition of the VIU Global Virtual Exchange will be in June 2021, and is open to all students in the member universities, from any discipline.
As a Virtual Exchange participant, you will be part of a diverse group of students, spanning five continents. This will be an opportunity for you to learn from one another and make it a truly cross-cultural learning experience.
- Communication in the “virtual exchange”: introduction to the challenges of interpersonal communication in encounters that take place in an international and intercultural setting.
- Culture(s) and imagination: how stereotypes and expectations shape the image we have about the other people's countries, languages and identities.
- Gender and sexuality: Participants will discuss how gender models and ideas about sexualities change from place to place and over time.
- Migration, race and religion: participants will discuss the difference of thought that can be created between people based on migratory backgrounds, and the “racial” and religious characteristics.
A facilitator will be online during the discussion to support you during the live sessions. The facilitator has a neutral role, he/she helps with the progress of the discussion. The facilitator will create a safe space in which participants are free to express their thoughts and feelings without being judged for it.
How does it work?
Over four weeks the students will engage in interesting conversations about topics that are relevant to their lives today.
The support materials – reading, video, exercise – will be released week-by-week on the VIU Moodle eLearning platform. They are selected to help stimulate your reflections on the topic.
- Week 1 (June 7-11): Communication in the “virtual exchange”
- Week 2 (June 14-18): Culture(s) and imagination
- Week 3 (June 21-25): Gender and sexuality
- Week 4 (June 28-2): Migration, race and religion
The choices for the online discussion group are:
Tuesdays 3 -4.30 pm (CEST)
Wednesdays 10-11.30 am (CEST)
Thursdays 3-4.30 pm (CEST)
Fridays 10-11.30 am (CEST)
Once you choose your preferred time slot for your online discussion group, your live discussion session will be on the same day and at the same time each week.