Science Communication Education and Training: Challenges and Strategies for Research and Academic Institutions
September 28-30, 2023
The PCST Venice Symposium intends to address current challenges that academic and research institutions face with respect to public communication and public engagement.
Co-organized by Venice International University (VIU), and the Public Communication of Science and Technology Network (PCST), the PCST Venice Symposium puts together, on the one hand, the expectations and needs of academic institutions in the area of science communication, and on the other hand, the theoretical and empirical knowledge of the PCST community along with practical experience.
Key questions for the Symposium will include the following:
- How can a general understanding of the role and importance of science communication become an element in the education, career development and professional growth of new generations of researchers?
- What type of training activities can be offered to meet the needs of young researchers and their institutions, while at the same time taking into account the development and acquisitions of scicomm theory and research?
- How is the demand for institutional science communicators in science communication in academic institutions changing and how are science communication courses addressing such change?
- What role can science communication scholars and practitioners play to help institutions to address these challenges?
- What role can networks of academic and research institutions play in addressing these challenges?
_The PCST Venice Symposium is thematic and regional in its scope in line with PCST Symposia but contributions from all over the world are welcome.
_The Symposium emphasizes interactivity. Presentation formats will include plenary sessions sparked by invited conversations, roundtables, working groups.
_Social events will be arranged in Venice and on San Servolo island, headquarte of the Venice International University.
The Program will be available on this page soon.
Registration to the Symposium
To attend the Symposium please register here. The Symposium is offered to a limited number of participants.
Call for presentations
We invite scholars, practitioners and organisations to submit case studies/examples of relevant practices and experiences by academic and research institutions on:
- supporting researchers' public communication
- recruiting science communication professionals and developing their competences
- evaluating and improving the quality of research communication
- using science communication research results in institutional activities
Application deadline: January 15, 2023 | Extended until February 28, 2023
Early Bird: until March 1, 2023 | extended until March 31, 2023
Participants from VIU and PCST members: € 250 incl. VAT
Participants from other institutions: € 330 incl. VAT
Rolling Registrations: until June 1, 2023
Participants from VIU and PCST members: € 280 incl. VAT
Participants from other institutions: € 350 incl. VAT
_The fees will cover tuition, Symposium materials, lunches in the VIU cafeteria and social events.
_Participants will be responsible for covering their own travelling, accommodation and local transportation.
_Accommodation on San Servolo Campus is available: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org referring to PCST Symposium.
The Symposium will be held on the Venice International University campus, on the island of San Servolo in the Venice lagoon – 10 minutes from San Marco square.
For further information please contact us at email@example.com
_Massimiano Bucchi, PCST Scientific Committee Member, University of Trento, Italy
_Sarah Davies, PCST Scientific Committee Member, University of Vienna, Austria
_Alessandra Fornetti, Executive Director TEN Program on Sustainability, Venice International University, Italy
_Marina Joubert, PCST Scientific Committee Member, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
_Ilda Mannino, Scientific Coordinator TEN Program on Sustainability, Venice International University, Italy
_Elisa Carlotto, Program Coordinator, TEN Program on Sustainability, Venice International University, Italy
_Brian Trench, Symposium Adviser, PCST External Relations Committee Convenor
Venice International University (VIU) is an international association of universities from EU, USA, Africa, East Asia, and the Mediterranean with a common campus on the island of San Servolo in Venice (www.univiu.org). It coordinates international projects and activities on science communication, including QUEST (www.questproject.eu).
The International Network on Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) is one the widest international networks for the science communication.
The aim of the network is to multiply opportunities for exchange and co-operation among both researchers and professionals who work in the many diverse but complementary fields of public communication of science and technology (www.pcst.network)