The health, safety, and well-being of our VIU community is the primary focus that guides the decisions of VIU relative to COVID-19.
VIU decisions regarding activities during the Fall semester are informed by Italian national legislation, Veneto Regional legislation, Italian ministerial guidance, and the recommendations of the scientific community.
All members of the VIU Community will be expected to participate fully in our joint efforts to limit the potential spread of the coronavirus, and must agree to the co-responsibility pact in order to attend on-campus academic activities and VIU events.
Each program or event is issuing program-specific information and a Co-Responsibility Pact. All students, professors, participants, and staff must accept the Co-Responsibility Pact before attending activities on campus.
Download the complete Protocol relevant for your program and fill out the form.
Please consider that from some locations, certification of a negative result of a Covid test taken within the previous 72 hours is required for entry to Italy. If you are unable to get a test before departure, you will able to take a test on arrival (not available in all airports, but at Venice airport there is a testing center), or report to the local health authorities and take a test with the public health authority within 48 hours. You are required to inform the health authority of your arrival and self-isolate until you receive the results of the test.
As of November 3, 2020 there are further limitations with respect to what was indicated below in the previous governmental decrees. You can read the updated information here (in Italian): article 7 and 8 of governmental decree November 3rd, 2020 (pages from 17 to 21); annex 20 with lists of countries.
Remember that if you have visited or traveled through any of these countries in the past 14 days, the restrictions apply, regardless of where you are departing from to enter Italy.
General practice on and off campus during your semester at VIU:
- All students, professors, participants, and staff should self-monitor on a daily basis for symptoms including a cold, sore throat, fever, labored breathing, or other flu-like symptoms and malaise, or loss of smell or taste (consider bringing a thermometer with you).
- Wash hands often with soap and water, or use a gel hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Maintain appropriate social distancing – minimum 1 meter.
- Wear a face mask at all times indoors, except in own residence, and outdoors where social distancing of 1 meter cannot be respected.
- Avoid hugging and hand-shaking.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or into your elbow. Dispose of the tissue immediately.
- Masks are required on public transport, and indoors in public buildings, shops etc.
- In bars and restaurants you must wear a mask when entering, and can remove it only when seated, including in outdoor seating areas. A minimum social distance of 1 meter must be maintained with anyone who does not live in your household.
- Install Immuni the official Covid-19 tracking app in Italy on your phone: https://www.immuni.italia.it
- In the event of a COVID-19 outbreak at VIU or in Venice, cooperate with the authorities in contact and tracing operations.
- If you develop any symptoms that may be indicative of a Covid-19 infection, STAY HOME, contact a doctor, or the health authorities. While waiting for further Health Authority decisions, you are required to self-isolate*.
- If you are told to self-isolate, or put in quarantine you must notify immediately VIU (via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Access to VIU on the campus on San Servolo island is not permitted if:
- You have a fever higher than 37.5 ° C, a cough, or labored breathing;
- You have been instructed by the health authorities to quarantine or advised to self-isolate.
- You know that you have been in contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
Arrival at VIU:
- As soon as you get off the vaporetto and before entering the buildings on the island of San Servolo:
- You must wear a mask. If you do not have one you will not be able to access the Reception where your temperature will be checked, and therefore you will not be able to access the VIU offices, classrooms, conference halls, or facilities.
- As soon as you arrive on the island and before entering the buildings, you must go to the Reception to undergo a temperature check by the staff of San Servolo Servizi Metropolitani, using an electronic thermometer.
General prevention measures while on campus:
What VIU is doing:
- VIU has drawn up the protocols, practices, and guidelines in cooperation with health and safety consultants.
- All VIU offices, classrooms, and common areas will be cleaned and sanitized every morning.
- Gel hand sanitizer will be available in all offices, classrooms, seminar rooms, and conference halls.
- VIU has reduced the capacity in all classrooms, seminar rooms, conference halls, the MacLab and PC room to 50% in order to guarantee adequate social distancing.
- Informational Signage will be placed throughout the campus to remind the VIU community of hygiene protocols and social distancing measures.
- VIU will continue to monitor any reviewed legislation and guidance from the local and national authorities relative to Covid-19.
- VIU will cooperate fully with the health authorities in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak at VIU, or in Venice.
- VIU is committed to keeping the members of the VIU community informed of what is happening at VIU, in Venice, and in Italy in general.
- All students, professors, participants, and staff are required to wear face masks on campus, in all classrooms, corridors, meeting spaces, and common areas, except when eating (allowed only at the bar, dining room and outdoors) and when inside their own residence hall rooms (applicable to campus residents only).
- Always maintain a minimum social distance of at least one meter from other people.
- Restrict your movements around the campus as much as possible.
- You can walk and sit in the park. Masks are not required outdoors as long as you can maintain social distancing of minimum 1 meter.
- Eating and drinking is not permitted in the classrooms, seminar rooms, or conference halls. Consume drinks and food only in designated areas where it is permitted.
- Avoid gatherings of numerous people in common areas.
- The use of the lift is not recommended; if necessary, use it 1 person at a time;
- Do not rearrange the seating in the classrooms, seminar rooms, or conference halls. A minimum of 1 meter must be maintained between the chairs.
- Entry to toilets is permitted one person at a time.
- Follow all the instructions sent by VIU staff and posted at the entrance to the premises, classrooms, seminar rooms, or conference halls, or common areas.
Please consult the complete protocol for your program for futher details.
If you have any concerns about the protocols, or compliance, please discuss them with your program coordinator.