Information for students from countries outside the European Union
Students from countries outside the European Union must obtain a student visa if they wish to study in Italy.
N.B. Obtaining a Visa and proceeding all documents for the residency permit once in Italy are a pre-requisite to be accepted in the Globalization Program.
Visas are issued by Italian embassies and consulates in the student’s country of origin.
For a list of embassies and consulates visit the web site of the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs at: http://www.esteri.it/visti/index_eng.asp
All applications for student visas require the following documents:
- A valid passport – it should be valid for at least 3 months beyond the validity date of the visa requested. The passport must have a blank page available for the visa to be affixed.
- Visa request form, available from competent embassy or consulate.
- One passport photograph.
- Original letter of acceptance from VIU (consulates in the US usually accept letter from Duke University for undergraduates. The Boston Consulate requires a letter from VIU). This letter must specify the dates of the program, and that the student will be provided with accommodation for the duration of the program.
Important Note: make sure that the Embassy/Consulate returns this to you when you collect your visa. It is required for the residency permit (see below).
- Evidence of financial means.
- Proof of health insurance coverage.
Note: always bring photocopies of all of your documentation. The consular office may ask for any additional documentation at its discretion.
RESIDENCY PERMIT (“PERMESSO DI SOGGIORNO”)
Procedures in force since December 2006
According to Italian law, during your stay in Italy you will need to apply for a “Permesso di soggiorno”, a residency permit. Within 8 working days a student who holds a study visa must apply for a Residency Permit (Permesso di soggiorno).
SHSS office will provide VIU students with the application kit. If you need assistance filling out the form please ask VIU staff members.
Once complete the application must be sent through the postal service. VIU students are advised to go to the San Marco branch behind Piazza San Marco to send the application (Monday – Friday 8.30 – 13.00).
The application kit is a white A4 envelope with a yellow stripe. Unfortunately all the information is in Italian, so the following is a summary of the documents students will need for the application. During orientation VIU staff meet non-EU students to assist them in filling out the application and compiling the necessary documents. The form must be filled out in capital letters, in black ink only. If you are unable to attend the meeting, please come to the SHSS office for assistance:
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
In order to apply for a residency permit you will need:
- Mod. 209 Modulo 1 (provided with kit)
- Photocopy of ALL pages of passport, including blank pages
- Photocopy of certificate of acceptance (VIU invitation letter) with official stamp of embassy/consulate that issued visa.
-Some consulates staple this to the back cover of the passport.
-If the Visa office did not return this letter to you, request that they send you a copy.
-Make sure that officers at immigration control do not take this from you.
- Photocopy of INTERNATIONAL health coverage:
-If you do not have coverage you can purchase insurance in Italy for €49.00 for the duration of six months (ask your program coordinator for information).
-If you have coverage from your country of origin, you must have valid documentation with you that specifies that your policy includes coverage in Italy, and includes the dates of coverage which must cover the duration of your expected stay in Italy.
-If you are covered by a family policy, you must have a certificate from the insurance company that specifies that you are covered.
|Stamp duty (marca da bollo):||€ 16.00|
|Administration charge:||€ 30.00|
- The marca da bollo (stamp duty) can not be purchased in the post office. You can purchase it in a tobacconist store in advance. Tobacconists displaying the “Lotto” sign sell the Marca da Bollo.
What to ask for: "Vorrei una marca da bollo da quattordici e sessantadue per favore"
- The Post Office does not accept Credit Cards – BRING CASH – EURO ONLY. (There is an ATM at the post office).
- All documentation should be in Italian or English
You will receive a receipt from the Post Office. A copy of the receipt must be handed in to the SHSS office. You must keep the receipt and your passport with you at all times. You will receive an summons by registered letter to present yourself at the Immigration Office of the Police Headquarters in Marghera, Venice to receive your permit. You will be fingerprinted, and will be required to present your original passport and four passport-size photos (all 4 photos must be identical).
The information on this page is provided by VIU however VIU is not responsible for any changes in the Italian law and each student is expected to make sure that all of his/her papers are in order.